Monday, July 19, 2004

My First Week In Canton

I arrived Tuesday, got an apartment Wednesday and moved in and got a phone on Thursday. I've been working for the Jeff Seemann congressional campaign since Wednesday and my apartment is 15 minutes' walk away from headquarters. It looks like I'll be able to get by without a car, although the nearest laundromat is also 15 minutes' walk distant.

Canton is not pedestrian-friendly, and the downtown area seems very depressed; stores are few and far between. A striking contrast to Kiel. There are fireflies here, something I haven't seen in decades and a nice surprise. People are friendly, make eye contact and are ready to talk. There's already a lot of talk about national politics; people are paying attention.

Food is, well, food and not cuisine. Quantity, not quality. Last night I had two crudely grilled pork chops that were the size of t-bone steaks (had I known, I'd have ordered just one), with a baked potato and an uninspired salad of iceberg lettuce, one tomato wedge and one slice of cucumber. I finally found my first decent cup of coffee at a nearby diner this morning.

Work at the campaign is good; it seems like a good, dedicated bunch of people. And growing. I'm (to my surprise) putting my data analysis skills and experience to work, and it seems to be helping. I'm also the designated "IT guy" - so I have a lot of learning to do.

I've put in a little time with the Kerry campaign, making phone calls (they sometimes use our phones as part of a phone bank).

I haven't been in touch with ACT yet; it looks like the Seemann campaign may be able to keep me busy. We'll see; maybe I can find a little time to help out at ACT, too.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carl said...

Hey, Marcus,

I don't know if I'm going to like it; as soon as possible, I'm hoping to turn over the IT stuff to someone who knows something. But so far, so good...

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home